If you or someone you know needs help dealing with childhood sexual abuse you can find a list of useful contacts below.
The SSCHAIR Crisis Support Information (as below) is available to download here.
24 Hour Support Numbers
||116123 (free 24hr helpline)
Part Time Support Numbers
||08444 775 774 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am - 5.30pm)
||0300 123 3393 (Mon-Fri, 9am - 6pm)
||0844 967 4848 (Daily, 10am - 10pm)
||0845 390 6232 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am - 5pm)
||0845 120 3778 (Mon-Fri, 9am - 5pm)
||0300 5000 927 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am - 4pm)
01595 694 449 (local call charges apply)
Mon - Wed, 7.30pm - 11.30pm (phone lines)
Mon - Wed, 7.30pm - 10.30pm (face to face)
Thurs & Fri, 9pm - 2am (phone lines)
Thurs & Fri, 9pm - 10.30pm (face to face)
0300 304 7000 (Daily, 4.30pm - 10.30pm)
Methods for Reducing Anxiety Attacks in Public
- Become aware of your breathing. Breath in slowly through your nose for the count of 3, hold for the count of 3 and breath slowly out through your mouth for the count of 3. Repeat until you feel calmer.
- Eat some chocolate as this releases a chemical in the brain which can make you feel calmer.
- Create a short mantra for yourself such as “This is anxiety and it will pass” or “I am safe”, whatever feels right for you.
- Have a small object that you can hold in your hand. This could be a toy, a rock, a crystal, anything that you can concentrate on to help distract you from the anxiety. Try out different objects when you are not feeling anxious to find what suits you best.
- Think of 3 things that you can see, 3 things that you can smell, 3 things that you can touch and 3 things that you can hear.
- Stamp your feet on the ground to help you feel more grounded.
- Pick something and count how many you can see or just count up to a certain number, repeat as necessary.
- Tense all of your muscles and then start relaxing them one by one starting from the top and working your way down.
- Visualise a safe place. When you are not feeling anxious then try and think of somewhere that makes you feel safe. This can be an actual place or a fantasy, the beach, a mountain, a forest, anywhere that feels right for you.